Goals and Objectives
Cornell University Library: Goals and Objectives
The Library’s mission in the next decade is to lead the collaborative development of an academic information infrastructure that enhances and meets the changing needs of preservation, discovery, transmission, and the application of knowledge, creativity, and critical thought.
A top ten academic research library, Cornell University Library advances the university’s mission of teaching, research, and outreach, serving both Cornellians and a worldwide scholarly community.
Expedite access to scholarly resources at the point and place of need.
- Unify access to library content across all Cornell campuses.
- Build local collections to address new, evolving, or inadequately supported areas of research and teaching.
- Acquire special collections that will support a world-class faculty, engage graduate and undergraduate students in primary research, and distinguish Cornell from its peers.
- Expand online access to scholarly resources through digitization and licensing arrangements.
- Simplify resource discovery and access to materials, regardless of location or ownership.
Provide cutting-edge facilities and services to support research, teaching, learning, and scholarly communication across disciplines.
- Renovate physical facilities, beginning with Olin Library, to support the evolving needs of
current and future learners and researchers.
- Provide the technology infrastructure, user services, and spaces for study, collaboration, teaching,
and experimentation in all library buildings.
- Conduct ongoing assessment to ensure services and facilities anticipate and match evolving
academic expectations and needs.
Ensure stewardship of the University’s intellectual assets.
- Develop and maintain repositories that facilitate and support e-research and learning, including data collection, management, and reuse through partnerships with faculty, CIT, the Center for Advanced Computing, and others.
- Build on the success of the research networking resource Vivo+ to connect faculty, students, and staff across the University and beyond.
- Exercise preservation responsibility over print and digital content with enduring value.
- Develop innovative solutions to long-term management of permanent University records created
and/or maintained in electronic form.
Contribute to research, scholarship, and teaching.
- Expand and enhance research collaborations with faculty and other researchers.
- Advance scholarship in the field of knowledge asset management, focusing on strengths in
digitization, preservation, metadata, intellectual property issues, usability, and e-curation.
- Partner with other campus units to enhance teaching and integrate information competency into
Become an employer of choice while fulfilling library users’ needs.
- Provide staff with opportunities for continual learning to ensure a relevant, diverse, engaged, and
- Support a quality work environment where staff are respected and supported.
- Engage staff in setting the direction for library services based on continual user assessment.
- Enhance existing skills base and diversity through strategic recruitment.
Meet the Library's campaign goals in support of program enhancements, student worker positions, library collections, and key staff endowments.