Policies > Procedures for selection of Olin stacks volumes for removal to Annex
Procedures for ongoing selection of Olin stacks volumes for removal to Annex
The purpose of this procedure is to establish a system of ongoing selection of volumes for removal from the Olin stacks to the Annex in small batches at a time in order to relieve
specific pressure points in the stacks. Since the stacks fill up unevenly, different areas reach the crisis stage at different times. By relieving small scale overcrowding on a continuous basis it is hoped that we could avoid repeated and/or large scale shifting of materials within the stacks. Also, that in this way the necessary steady state could be achieved in the stacks without having to do as many large scale Annex move projects as would otherwise be the case.
- The Olin Stacks Supervisor will identify an area requiring culling, not to exceed one double sided range, or its equivalent, at a time. He will indicate to the Director of CCSS the call number range from the beginning to the end of this area, as well as the desired number of volumes to be removed. The number will be in the 100-600 volumes range. In cases where the requisite number cannot be
generated within the designated area, for example, if the area contains predominantly high use or otherwise important materials, agreement could be sought from the Olin Stacks Supervisor to expand the quota to include adjacent Stack areas.
- Responsibility for selecting the specific volumes for removal rests with the appropriate subject selector[s]. The selector[s] will make the selection within thirty days of being asked to do so. If s/he is unable to do so, the task will be done by the Director of CCSS or his designee.
- Selectors are free to select any volumes they deem appropriate, based on their best professional judgment, but subject to the general restriction that only volumes already bar coded may be selected. Also, selectors should endeavor to distribute the selections as evenly as possible within the area in order to reduce the need for shifting.
- Monographic multi-volume sets may be selected, but only those where the complete set is both held by CUL and present on the shelf at the time of selection. Sets may not be split; that is, the complete set must either be selected for Annex or left in Olin. The intention is to avoid situations where a set is split between Olin and Annex. Collection Maintenance will provide a laptop to assist selectors in determining the status of such sets as necessary.
- Selectors will pull selected volumes off the shelf and place them on Annex trucks provided at the location by Collection Maintenance, who will be responsible for removing them when they are full.
Back to Policies