Card Holder Policies
For information about obtaining a Library Card as a guest borrower, see Guest Borrower Eligibility and Fees. For information about how to obtain a GuestID to access your library account online, please contact the Library Public Services Office, (607) 255-5069, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The regular loan period for library card-holders is 28 days.
- Special materials such as journals, DVDs or reserve items may be loaned for shorter periods such as hours or days. Check with individual libraries about loan policies.
- Library Card holders are permitted to have 20 items on loan at one time.
Courtesy notices are sent within three days of when a book is due, and overdue notices are sent the first day and fourteenth day after a book is due. Available notices are sent the day after a requested book is received at the designated pick-up library. Recall notices are sent the day after a book is recalled by another user. Fine/fee notices are sent the day after the fine is incurred. Note that failure to receive a courtesy or overdue notice does not relieve the borrower of responsibility to return or renew borrowed materials by the due date.
|Loan Type||Fine Rates|
|Hourly||$.04/minute or $2.40/hour|
*Late fees are not charged for materials renewed or returned within nine days of the due date. Items returned or renewed after the expiration of the 9-day grace period are fined from the first day overdue.
- If an item is not returned or renewed, a replacement bill will be created 27 days after the due date for general collection materials. Replacement bills for special collection materials will be created between 3 days and 14 days after the due date. The bill will include the replacement cost plus an overdue fine applicable to the type of loan:
|Lost Item Replacement Cost||$75.00*|
|Overdue Fine (non-recalled regular loan item)||$25.00|
|Recalled Item Fine||$60.00|
|1 day - 2 week loan Fine||$35.00|
|Minutely loans (reserves, laptops, equipment)||$150.00|
* This amount may be more if an item is of greater value.
- Books returned after billing: the replacment cost will be cancelled if the item has not already been replaced or reordered. Fines may not be cancelled.
- Unpaid charges are sent to Cornell Collections after 60 days.
- Questions and appeals should be directed to the circulation supervisor of the lending library.
- The privilege of borrowing is a personal one and may not be transferred.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended if the borrower:
- owes $150 or more in unpaid charges
- has one overdue recalled item
- has more than 15 overdue items
Recalls and Holds
- Library Card and Privilege Card holders may not recall items on loan, but may place holds. Placing a hold will not change the due date, but it will prevent the item from being renewed.
- Books may be recalled from all borrowers, including Library Card and Privilege Card holders. Recalled items are usually due back 14 days from the date of recall.
General Circulation Policies
- All library material must be properly charged out. Its prompt and safe return is the personal responsibility of the individual to whom it is loaned.
- Overdue notices are sent as a courtesy to remind borrowers that an item should be renewed or returned, but failure to receive a notice does not relieve the borrower of the responsibility to renew or return the item in a timely manner.
- The borrower is responsible for notifying the Library immediately if library material is damaged, missing or lost.
- Library cards do not grant access to specially licensed databases.
- Library cards do not include Interlibrary Loan privileges.