Faculty and Staff Policies
- Books: The regular loan period for faculty and staff is one year, and may be renewed as often as desired. All borrowed materials are subect to recall by other users and must be returned by the new due date (usually 9 - 14 days from the date of recall). All borrowed materials must be returned, regardless of due date, if the borrower leaves the university.
- Other materials: Journals, DVDs, videos, reserve books and other special collection materials may be loaned for shorter periods of time such as hours or days. Check with individual libraries for specific loan periods.
Courtesy notices are generally sent three days before an item is due, and overdue notices are sent the first day and 14th day after an item is due. Available notices are sent the day after a requested book is received at the designated pick-up library. Recall notices are sent the day after a book is recalled by another user. Fine/fee notices are sent the day after the fine is incurred.
Library notices are sent by e-mail to the borrower's NetID address (NetID@cornell.edu). If you prefer another type of e-mail address, such as email@example.com, please configure your mail preferences so that NetID mail is routed to the preferred address. Go to http://whoiam.cornell.edu and follow the instructions for routing mail. Note that failure to receive a courtesy or overdue notice does not relieve the borrower of responsibility to return or renew borrowed materials by the due date.
|Loan Type||Fine Rates|
|Hourly||$.04/minute or $2.40/hour|
*Late fees are not charged for materials, provided they are renewed or returned before a bill is written.
If an item has not been returned or renewed, a replacement bill will be created 27 days after the current due date for general collection materials. Replacement bills for special collection materials may be sent at 3 days to 14 days overdue. The bill will include the replacement cost plus the fine applicable to the type of loan according to the chart below:
|Lost Item Replacement Cost||$75.00**|
|Overdue Fine (non-recalled, regular loan item)||$25.00|
|Recalled Item Fine||$60.00|
|Short-term Loan Fine||$35.00|
** This amount may be more if an item is of greater value.
- Books returned after billing: the replacement cost will be cancelled if the item has not already been replaced or reordered. Fines may not be cancelled.
- Unpaid bills are sent to Cornell Collections 60 days after the bill date.
- Questions and appeals should be directed to the circulation supervisor of the lending library.
- Cornell University identification cards serve as library cards. The privilege of borrowing is a personal one and may not be transferred.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended if the borrower:
- owes $300 or more in upaid charges
- has one overdue recalled item
- has more than 100 overdue items
- Faculty and staff may authorize other individuals (proxies) to borrow library materials in their name. The faculty/staff member remains responsible for all items checked out by his or her proxy. To designate a proxy, contact the Library Public Services office, 116 Olin Library, 255-5069, email firstname.lastname@example.org or the Mann Library Access Services office, 255-7965, email email@example.com.
- Library materials may be recalled at any time during their loan, including during break periods and the summer. Recalled items are usually due back between 9 and 14 days from the date of recall.
General Circulation Policies
- All library material must be properly charged out. Its prompt and safe return is the personal responsibility of the individual to whom it is loaned.
- Overdue notices are sent as a courtesy to remind borrowers that an item should be renewed or returned, but failure to receive a notice does not absolve the borrower of the responsibility to renew or return the item to a Cornell library in a timely manner.
- The borrower is responsible for notifying the Library immediately if library material is damaged, missing or lost.
- Address changes: Faculty and staff should make campus address changes through their departmental Human Resources representative. Home address updates can be entered through Bear Access/Employee Essentials. E-mail forwarding can be configured through http://whoiam.cornell.edu. Please be aware that address updates may take a week or longer to transfer to the library database.