Graduate Student Policies
- The regular loan period for books is 180 days. Most items are renewable.
- Special materials such as journals, DVDs or reserve items may be loaned for shorter periods such as hours or days. Check with individual libraries for specific loan periods.
Courtesy notices are sent three days before a book is due, and overdue notices are sent the first day and 14th day after a book is due. Available notices are sent the day after a requested book is received at the designated pick-up library. Recall notices are sent the day after a book is recalled by another user. Fine/fee notices are sent the day after the fine is incurred. Note that failure to receive a courtesy or overdue notice does not relieve the borrower of responsibility to return or renew borrowed materials by the due date.
Library notices are sent by e-mail to the borrower's NetID address (NetID@cornell.edu). If you prefer another type of e-mail address, such as firstname.lastname@example.org, please configure your mail preferences so that NetID mail is routed to the preferred address. Please go to http://whoiam.cornell.edu and follow the instructions for routing mail. Note that failure to receive a courtesy or overdue notice does not relieve the borrower of responsibility to return or renew borrowed materials by the due date.
|Loan Type||Fine Rates|
|Hourly||$.04/minute or $2.40/hour|
*Late fees are not charged for materials returned or renewed within nine days of the due date. Items returned after the expiration of the 9-day grace period are fined retroactive to the first day overdue.
If a borrowed item has not been returned or renewed, a replacement bill will be created 27 days after the most recent due date for general collection materials. Special collection materials may be billed for replacement at 3 days to 14 days overdue. The bill will include the recplacement cost plus the overdue fine applicable to the type of loan, according to the chart below:
|Lost Item Replacement Cost||$75.00*|
|Overdue Fine (regular loan, non-recalled item)||$25.00|
|Recalled Item Fine||$60.00|
|Short-term Loan Fine||$35.00|
* This amount may be more if an item is of greater value.
- Items returned after billing: the cost of the item will be cancelled if it has not already been replaced or reordered. Overdue fines may not be cancelled.
- Unpaid bills are sent to Cornell Collections 60 days after the bill date.
- Questions and appeals should be directed to the circulation supervisor of the lending library.
- Cornell University identification cards serve as library cards. The privilege of borrowing is a personal one and may not be transferred.
- Borrowing privileges will be suspended if the borrower:
- owes library bills of $300 or more
- has one overdue recalled item
- has more than 100 overdue items
Books may be recalled at any time during their loan, including during break periods and the summer. Recalled items are usually due back 9 - 14 days from the date of recall.
General Circulation Policies
- All library material must be properly charged out. The prompt and safe return of borrowed materials is the personal responsibility of the individual to whom they are loaned.
- Overdue notices are sent as a courtesy to remind borrowers that an item should be renewed or returned, but failure to receive a notice does not relieve the borrower of the responsibility to renew or return the item when due.
- The borrower is responsible for notifying the Library immediately if library material is damaged, missing or lost.
- Address changes: E-mail forwarding can be configured through http://whoiam.cornell.edu. Please note that address updates will take at least a day to load to the library database.