Most borrowed materials may be returned to any library on the Ithaca, Geneva or Weill Cornell Medical College (New York City) campuses. If you are returning Ithaca/Geneva books to WCMC, please speak with the WCMC staff to let them know you are returning offsite materials.
Exceptions: the following materials must be returned directly to the libraries from which they were issued:
- Reserve books (hourly loans, 1- or 2-day loans)
- Laptops and other equipment
- Interlibrary loans
- Fragile items
- Any special loan materials, as indicated by the issuing library (may include journal issues, videos, DVDs, CDs, manual loans, etc.)
Items may be placed in the book returns located outside of the libraries (after closing) or may be returned at the library circulation desks during open hours. There is also a North Campus book drop located at the Robert Purcell Community Center (west side, across from Jameson Hall). Note that this bookdrop is available during the academic year only (late August through mid-May). See individual library maps for location of book returns, or contact the libraries for location information.
Drive-up Locations: Locations of libraries or book drops that are accessible by car (on-site parking or nearby 15-minute parking):
- Adelson Library of Ornithology
- Africana Library
- Engineering Library (bookdrop is located at the north entrance to Carpenter Hall. The bookdrop is cleared Monday - Friday.)
- Geneva Library
- Library Annex (no exterior bookdrop - return books inside, M-F 8am - 6pm, Sat. 9am - 12pm, closed Sun.)
- Management Library (south side by parking lot)
- Math Library (north side across from Bailey Hall)
- Robert Purcell Community Center (metered parking is adjacent to RPCC; bookdrop is located on the west side of building across from Jameson Hall). NOTE: bookdrop is available during the academic year only (late August through mid-May).
If the bookdrop is full: If the outside book return is full, please do not force books into the box or leave them outside the box - return them to the circulation desk the next business day. You will not be fined for the additional time required to return books in person.
Receipts for Return: Upon request, receipts for returned items can be issued in person at the circulation desk at the time of return. Please check your My Account page to view items on loan to you, and notify the library as soon as possible if you think there is an error.
Campus Mail: Please note that books cannot be returned through the Campus Mail delivery system.
Returning books by US mail or delivery service: Books returned through US mail, FedEx, DHL, UPS or other delivery service should be insured for a minimum value of $100 per item. Please address packages to:
Library Public Services Office
116 Olin Library
161 Ho Plaza
Ithaca, NY 14853
Please be sure to include your name and contact information.
Questions about returns? Please contact the Library Public Services Office, (607) 255-5069, Monday through Thursday 8:30am - 4:30pm, Friday 8:30am - 3:30pm. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org