Submit Course Reserves Online
You can submit course reserves electronically through the CUL Reserves Home page. This is a relatively advanced option. However, it completes the first step of reserves processing and therefore items will usually be available more quickly than the email option. Instructors should plan on items that need to be recalled or purchased taking at least 2-3 weeks to be available.
See the guides below for detailed instructions on submitting course reserves electronically. If you have taught this course previously and will be using all or many of the same reserve items, you should instead see the following page: Reactivate a Previous Course’s Reserves.
NOTE: If you will be using electronic reserves (e-books, scanned articles, web links, or streaming video), you must first request a Blackboard site for your course via the Faculty Center.
We are currently experiencing a technical issue with our "Create Course" web submission form and are working on a fix. In the meantime, please create your course reserves list using one of the two methods below:
- If you plan on using Blackboard for your course, placing a request through the Faculty Center for a Blackboard page will also generate a reserves list.
- If you do not plan on using Blackboard for your course, contact reserves staff to create your course. Please include the semester, course name and number, section number, instructor name, reserve location, and any other pertinent information.
Once your course is created via one of these methods, you will be able to add and edit items using the instructions below.
- On the CUL Reserves Home page, you will see a list of courses that have been set up for course reserves. If prompted, log in using your Cornell NetID and select "switch to instructor view" (if you do not see this option, you are probably already viewing as an instructor). Click on the course you wish to modify.
- On your course’s page, you should see a list containing any items that are already on reserve for the course. To add an item, make sure you are on the "Reserve Requests" tab, then click the "Add Reserve Items" button.
NOTE: This page can also be accessed via Blackboard by going to your course’s Blackboard site and clicking the “Course Reserves” link on the left sidebar, then choosing the “Add Requests” tab.
- The next screen will ask for the type of item you wish to place on reserve (Book, Video, Article, etc). You will also be given the option to import a previous reserve item from another course or semester, using the “Previous Courses” list below.
- After choosing the item type, fill out the form on the page that follows and click “Submit Item”. This will send your request for processing to reserves staff at the library you have selected.
NOTE: As an advanced option, you can add multiple items at once by clicking the "Import Items" icon, then pasting an RIS-formatted text file created using a citation manager such as RefWorks, EndNote, or Mandalay.
- To edit reserve items or check their current processing status, go to the CUL Reserves Home page. If prompted, log in using your Cornell NetID and select "switch to instructor view" (if you do not see this option, you are probably already viewing as an instructor). Click on the course you wish to modify.
- The items on your reserve list are displayed on the "Reserve Requests" tab, listed below "Your Requests." The current processing status displays in a column to the right of each item. If an item has the status “Awaiting Reserves Processing,” you can edit or delete it (if you wish to edit an item that is marked with a different status, you will need to contact reserves staff for assistance).
- Select the item you wish to edit, then on the item’s page click "Edit this Item." Make your changes and click "Submit Item."