We can help you learn to use library resources and services, become a better researcher and stay connected to your community.
Help using the Library
- Ask questions! Library staff are friendly and approachable and can help you with all aspects of using the library and finding materials for your research papers and course assignments. Ask a Librarian to call, send email, ask in person at any service desk, or connect online 24/7.
- Go on tours of the libraries to learn where helpful people, collections, specialized services, and study spaces are located (check your orientation schedule or ask in any library for tour schedules).
- Attend a free workshop to learn about the organization, services and resources in academic libraries. Introduction to Academic Libraries in the United States, Get Started with Library Research, and Essential Research Tools are highly recommended, and are usually scheduled at the beginning of the semester.
Help with research
- Use online guides to learn about the library research process and online and print sources for different classes, subject areas or skills. Library Research at Cornell: The Seven Steps is a good place to begin.
- Schedule a consultation with a librarian who has expertise in your subject area for personal assistance when you need to find resources for a class assignment or research project.
- Cite the sources you use for your research correctly, and avoid plagiarism.
- Explore the vocabulary used in libraries (provided by the ALA/ACRL/Instruction for Diverse Populations Committee):
- Find library language resources that may be helpful, such as Language Dictionaries Online. Ask a Librarian for help in finding audiovisual materials or resources written in, or about, specific languages.
Help staying connected with your community
- Keep up with the news from countries all around the world. Press Display provides access to papers from 100 countries in 60 languages.
- When you travel, work off campus, or study abroad, take the Library with you. See all of the services and resources available for you anywhere in the world on the Help for Off Campus & Studying Abroad page.
- Contact other organizations, beyond the library:
- Learn more about services for:
Introducing students from China to the services and resources of Cornell University Library.