Our digitization services are based on partnerships with Cornell faculty, unit libraries, and metadata and information technology staff to make digital content available online and easy to search and discover. We also provide expertise in the archiving and preservation of digital content. For more information, visit Digital Consulting and Production Services (DCAPS).
Copyright and Intellectual Property
We offer investigation and permissions services for collections to be digitized, as well as help in determining rights and securing protection for intellectual property. Interpreting fair use guidelines, advising authors on issues surrounding ownership, and negotiating terms and fees are key areas of concern.
We provide Cornell faculty, staff and students with Cornell-specific and general information about copyright.
- Assistance with investigating copyright status, fair use analysis and obtaining permission
- Advice on interpreting the university’s policy on the use of electronic materials in the teaching
- For large projects, advisory services on copyright research and clearance workflow
- Consultation on managing copyright ownership for Cornell authors
- Customized copyright education programs for the Cornell community
- Referral when appropriate to other offices at Cornell
Visit Cornell Copyright Services, which serves as an information clearinghouse and contains Cornell policies, general information, reference materials and information on the university’s copyright awareness and education programs. It also has information on the copyright services of the following Cornell partners: Cornell Information Technologies, Office of Information Technologies, Office of University Counsel and the Cornell Store.
Note that we cannot provide legal advice; services are informational only.
Contact us at email@example.com.