Guides for Citing Sources
- American Psychological Association (APA) citation style from the Purdue OWL
- Modern Language Association (MLA) citation style from the Purdue OWL
- Chicago Manual of Style (CMS) online
- Scientific Style and Format (CSE) online
- Citation Styles Library Guide
- Annotated Bibliography Tutorial
- Code of Academic Integrity
Have a question about citing sources or citation styles? Ask a Librarian.
Citation Management Software
What is citation management software?
Citation management tools allow a user to organize and retrieve information, such as citations for books, articles, and Web sites, by interfacing with library databases. The citation manager then works with word-processing software to insert properly formatted footnotes or citations into a paper and create a properly formatted bibliography.
Which citation management programs are used at Cornell?
Individuals at Cornell use a variety of programs. The Cornell University Library currently supports
For help choosing a citation manager, contact us!
- Zotero is a free, open source, web-based tool for managing citations, organizing pdfs, and creating bibliographies.
- Free campus workshops on Zotero: Olin-Uris Library and Mann Library
- Self-guided instruction in the form of tutorials, FAQ, and help are available through Zotero.
- Mendeley is a free, web-based tool for managing references, creating bibliographies, and pdf organizer.
- Free campus workshops on Mendeley: Mann Library
- Self-guided instruction in the form of tutorials, FAQ, and help are available through Mendeley.
- EndNote is citation management software produced by ISI. A free 30-day trial is available through the EndNote website. The software can be purchased at the Campus Store.
- Two Cornell colleges offer their communities free access to Endnote via site license: Human Ecology and Agriculture & Life Sciences.
- Free campus workshops on EndNote: Mann Library
- Self-guided instruction through online tutorials is available at Mann Library.
- Information about using EndNote with CU databases (through filters and connections) customized for Cornell: Sciences, Humanities & Social Sciences