Library instructors aim to integrate library instruction artfully and seamlessly into your course plans. We collaborate with faculty and staff from other campus units to create the best and most effective instruction sessions possible, focusing on information literacy, library resources, research methods, and advanced tools.
Library instruction is:
- Effective and foundational: We introduce, develop, and strengthen research skills for finding and using information sources, solidifying foundational habits of mind for lifelong learning and productivity. With library instruction, students will discover and assess scholarly resources and deliver assignments with more sophisticated sources.
- Customizable and collaborative: We work with you to design instruction sessions that fit your specific course goals and your students. Librarians can help you design library instruction strategies from the earliest stages of your course planning. Options range from the single, focused instruction session to a long arc of instruction across multiple class meetings.
- Innovative: We teach with effective pedagogical models and appropriate tools to engage students and foster learning. Whether we're introducing basic scholarly sources or the latest data management tools, we incorporate current and proven educational scholarship to maximize learning outcomes.
Individual libraries of CUL also offer a wide variety of open workshops designed to assist patrons in developing skills in library research, information management and computer applications. These workshops are free and open to registered Cornell students, faculty and staff. Below are the workshop offerings by unit library.
- Africana Library
- Catherwood Library (Industrial and Labor Relations)
- CIT's Technology Training Program
- Engineering Library
- Fine Arts Library
- Geneva Experiment Station Library
- Hotel (Nestlé Library)
- Johnson Graduate School of Management Library
- Law Library
- Mann Library
- Olin & Uris Libraries
- Physical Sciences Library
- Rare and Manuscript Collections
- Veterinary Library