What is Borrow Direct?
Borrow Direct is a rapid book request and delivery system. It enables Cornell faculty, staff and students to search the combined library catalogs of Brown, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Harvard, University of Pennsylvania, University of Chicago, Johns Hopkins, MIT, Duke, Princeton and Yale, a collection of over 60 million volumes, and directly request expedited delivery of circulating items.
How does Borrow Direct work?
- Login to Borrow Direct using your Cornell NetID.
- Use the Search function to locate the book you want to request.
- Select the appropriate pickup location.
- You will immediately receive an e-mail confirming your request. Status updates will be sent when the item is shipped and when it becomes available for pickup. if a request can't be filled, you will be notified of the cancellation.
What can be requested through Borrow Direct?
- Books, printed music, and some audio-visual materials (DVDs, videos, CDs) not owned by Cornell libraries
- Books, printed music, and some audio-visual materials that are currently unavailable at Cornell, e.g., checked out, lost, missing, at the bindery, etc.
- Books, printed music, and some audio-visual materials that normally circulate from the partner universities' collections
What cannot be requested through Borrow Direct?
- Books and printed music currently available at Cornell designated in the Catalog as "Not charged"
- Journals, magazines, newspapers, and other serials
- Photocopies of journal articles, conference proceedings, etc.
- Reference books, microfilm and other non-circulating material
- Books from most of our partners' medical and law libraries
When will the book arrive from Borrow Direct?
- Most items will be available for pick-up at the circulation desk of your choosing within 4 working days of the date you placed your request
What is the loan period for Borrow Direct books?
- 6 weeks (subject to recall by the owning library), with an additional 6-week renewal in most cases
Who is eligible to use Borrow Direct?
- All current Cornell faculty, staff, and registered students
How can I get material that is not available from Borrow Direct?
- Request a book or article through Interlibrary Loan.